4.22.2009

Unaccustomed Earth

Author: Jhumpa Lahiri
Category: Acquisitions

Remember that book club that I didn't want to join? The one that showed me I could enjoy the world of perfume on a non-olfactory level? Lahiri's book was the second one selected by our group but alas, volleyball had me so slammed that I couldn't actually make it to the rendezvous. But being the team player I am, I read it anyway.

Lahiri is not new to me - I read her book The Namesake which was passed on to me by my sister some time last year or the year before.

Unaccustomed Earth is a collection of short stories and the second part is three stories about the same two characters - by far my favorites. I love the way she develops her characters. She spends an almost ridiculous time building them up so you understand them before you get to the meat of the story, but it's fantastic.

Note: this is my last acquisition until I clear out the rest of the categories - yikes!

No comments: