6.27.2009

The Queen's Fool

Author: Philippa Gregory
Category: stacks

Chronologically this is the fourth book in the series whose most recognized novel is The Other Boleyn Girl. While I feel like the story's enchantment was lacking in the third in the series, The Boleyn Inheritance, it was resurrected with The Queen's Fool and makes pushing through to it completely worth the time.

This part of the epic focuses on Queen Mary, King Henry's "bastard" daughter by Queen Katherine, her most sad life and troubled ascent to the throne of England. It also serves to rightly introduce perhaps the most well-known beside Henry himself, the queen-to-be Princess Elizabeth, daughter of King Henry and Anne Boleyn.

I think the beauty of Gregory's novels is that there is real history involved but made utterly compelling by her fabulous imagination. Once I clear out the rest of the queue I'll definitely be putting the next in the series, The Virgin's Lover, at the top of my to-read list!

No comments: