7.02.2009

Amphigorey

Author: Edward Gorey
Category: Christmas
When I was in grad school one of my roommates had a book called The Gashlycrumb Tinies. It was an alphabet of tots meeting intensely creative (and more often than not cruel) ends.
This started my fascination with Edward Gorey. I loved it so much I had to buy my own copy when I moved out. As one reviewer said, he appeals to, "anyone with a taste for morbid absurdity." I guess you learn something new about yourself everyday.
A lot of his books are hard to come by in their original form so several of them (if not all) are compiled into 4 anthologies: Amphigorey, Amphigorey Too, Amphigorey Also, and Amphigorey Again. Amphigorey contains 15 of his works, including the Gashlycrumb Tinies, but there is a lot of good stuff in there. Some of my other favorites from this book are The Bug Book, The Curious Sofa, and The Willowdale Handcar.
Google Edward Gorey and you'll likely see a good representation of his artwork and you'll instantly be able to recognize his work from that point on. It is utterly unique and fascinating, to say the least. Enjoy!

No comments: