8.28.2010

The Pillars of the Earth

Author: Ken Follett

Epic. Architecturally fascinating. Masterfully assembled.

I have resisted this book for quite some time. It's really long and so popular that I immediately shrugged it off. I sometimes have difficulty reading things I feel I must. Nonetheless, I read this, not quite at my usual pace, but with a constant hunger.

My immediate interest was in the architecture but I quickly realized how truly perfectly this novel was sewn together. It was a puzzle of enormous proportions and I kept thinking how brilliant Follett was to set up each part of the story hundreds of pages before, without the slightest hint of his intention. Even seemingly insignificant roles would float to the surface much later and make my stomach lurch in anticipation and dread.

But my admiration for him goes further.

Follett took an actual event in history (the sinking of the White Ship) and created a fictional history around this single event. The ability to weave such an epic tale, while maintaining some sense of historical accuracy, is astounding to me. Think of the massive amount of research he must have done to get it right.

The other thing I am impressed with is the power of Oprah. Follett wrote this book in 1989. Twenty-one years ago. In 2007 it was selected for Oprah's book club and I suspect it has enjoyed vastly more success since then than when it was originally published. Her influence is terrifying.

Normally I'm drawn to certain books because I become emotionally invested in the characters but not so much this time. Don't get me wrong - of course I was interested in them and wanted to follow their paths, but as I continued to read I was more impressed by the blueprint of the story and Follett's ability to build it flawlessly. I don't think I can recall another book where the structural integrity of the novel is so absolutely unwaveringly solid. No detail was overlooked and every sentence has a distinct purpose. Completely efficient in its enormity. Brilliant.

No comments: