9.14.2005

overused and underpaid

Last night was my first night playing volleyball since Nationals at the end of May.

I now know why cycling (or another sport that doesn't involve the use of my shoulder) needs to be my sport of the future. And yes, Dad, I know you told me to take up golf years ago for this very reason.

Playing volleyball for roughly 16 years has put my shoulder in a tender position. I can barely move it after only one night of play. On the bright side, because of the cycling I wasn't as out of shape as I usually am when the season starts. Cardio-wise I felt pretty good and by the end of the night whatever little bit of jump I had started to come back. Unfortunately, none of that really helps me if my shoulder is hanging on by a thread - we can all guess that defense is not my strong point and hitting is my golden ticket.

Ok, so I exaggerate, it's not really hanging by a lone tendon, but it is pretty sore. I'm hoping that playing once a week won't aggravate it more than usual until the coaching season starts after Thanksgiving. That's what really does me in for the year.

That being said, Helix will see some pavement today.

No comments: