3.11.2009

In Defense of Food

Author: Michael Pollan
Category: Library

I allowed myself this early library read because the author will be speaking at CDC next Friday, March 20th. He is in town as the keynote speaker for the 12th Annual Georgia Organics Conference next weekend.

This book was nothing short of fascinating. Pollan discusses the Western Diet and how it has contributed to the slew of chronic diseases Americans now face (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and on, and on, and on). But he also explains why this is the case. Some of it seems so obvious that I wonder why I never put some of these conclusions together myself. I almost feel ashamed.

Nonetheless, it is an extraordinarily enlightening book that makes complete sense on so many levels. I can't recommend this book highly enough, really. This book has the power to not only completely change how you view the food you eat and but how you eat it, too, in the best kind of way. It's a great, easy, quick read.

No comments: