9.18.2009

Kenya: Days 1 & 2

I can't promise how long I'll be able to keep up posting...I've only got internet access while I'm at the field station, which I suppose shouldn't really be a surprise. But hey, at least I've got a cell phone...

So after two longs flights we arrived safely in Nairobi on Wednesday evening. After skipping through customs (special passports at least get you to the front of the line) and turning in our H1N1 health forms to an empty and dark desk under the Ministry of Health sign, we got in a cab to head to the hotel.

Those of you who went on the Italy trip, and I guess anyone who's been to Rome, will understand me when I say that driving in Nairobi (at night) is like like driving in Roma (at rush hour), and having to dodge bicyclists as well as motorcylists. Holy crap. Bags, that close call in Roma that you got on video was like the Easter Parade compared to the navigating the Death Race last night. People ride their BIKES on the highway. And it appears that you can pass anyone anytime you want - even when there's oncoming traffic as long as you can squeeze between the two vehicles.

I tried to post a picture of the airport in Kisumu where we arrived at this morning but my computer is having some trouble with that. It reminded me of landing in Belize when I was in high school. There was no baggage claim, just you getting your bag that the plane guys (I really don't have a name for them) tossed to the ground from the cart they brought it in across the fifty yards of asphalt between you and the runway. Brilliant. But I'm thankful that we got here safely and with all of ours bags - that was certainly an unexpected bonus.

No comments: