9.25.2009

Kenya: Day 9



This is the view of the sunset over Lake Victoria from my hotel. There are plenty of buildings in front to obscure the view, but with a little zoom they can be avoided. This was one of my first nights here in Kisumu - I haven't been back to the hotel by sunset since.

Yesterday we saw a terrible accident where a motorbike (piki piki) got hit by a car. The entire windshield was smashed and you could even see where the piki piki rider's head went through the windshield into the car. We got there some time after it had happened so we only saw the car, thankfully. Point of fact, I'd say about 85% of the motorcyclists don't wear helmets, even though I think John said it was a law.

The driving here is definitely scary. We've taken as much precaution as possible not to be driving from anywhere far after it gets dark. The roads are littered with bicyclists who transport people from place to place via a cushion over the rear wheel instead of a rack (boda bodas) and the drivers of the cars and matatus (minivan-like buses) don't care much for their safety and barely honk when they pass them. At least once I've seen a guy on a boda boda drive off into the ditch to get out of the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the updates! I cant wait to see ALL your pictures!